Sunday, June 24, 2007

chicken, bird, soldier









Its that time of year for us. Swimming lessons!! The kids have been at the pool every morning for the last two weeks and we've got one more to go. They are in 7th heaven. I really didn't know how Mallory would do as the last time we went to a pool she
was stuck to my neck the entire time. Sometimes as a mother i feel like flypaper...in the pool and during sacrament meeting are the two places where it's really unbearable. I'm not quite sure why it is that my four children find it necessary to be touching, hanging on, and/or fighting for my personal space at these times, but it drives me crazy. Imagine my surprise when on the first day Mallory got in with her teacher without even a whimper and has only left her class and put up a fight to go back in once. For me, that's a major improvement. I think what has helped her is that she has the most scantily clad swimming teacher out there. Her belly button "decorations" are bigger than her bikini and Mal sure has noticed. Every day she tells us about swimming and "My teacher, I love her" then she proceeds to lift up her shirt and inform us, again!!!, that her teacher has her belly button pierced. She's in the zone.


Megs and Isaac love the water and have a blast. They practice their strokes every chance they can out at the reservoir (as we go 2-3 times a week) and at the dinner table. To teach the back glide, the teachers use the phrase "chicken (pull your hands to your armpits), bird (extend arms out) and soldier (bring them down to your side)" and we've certainly gotten our money's worth out of "chicken, bird, soldier" as they've extended it to "...flamingo, mom, eli, megan, mallory, isaac, dad..." each with it's own action. I'm sure if you haven't heard and seen them perform their newest trick, the day will shortly come.




Eli has fun walking around the baby pool holding onto my fingers trying to avoid his siblings as they swim up to and splash his face. His mouth is only a few inches above the water level and each splash and wave causes him to choke. You would think the kids could see that, but they haven't yet. He only has a week left and so we'll see if he survives.



1 comments:

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Fun times in the sun! I am sure they all have a nice golden tan. I am very proud of Mallory, Tanner is not afraid to the water this year either.