Tuesday, June 19, 2007

out of style






A few tidbits on my children's fashion statements as of late. Here is Isaac on the first and last days of school. You'll notice on the first day, he's got his hair combed, is wearing a nice collared shirt (with a matching t shirt underneath) with khaki shorts. Obviously, Mom
cared about her son's appearance as it is a reflection on her as a mother. It's as if he emulates, "that kid's mom surely has got it together" or "look how nicely that boy is dressed. His mother must have him trained well" I must say, that's what I think when I look at Photo A. However, as your eyes trail over to Photo B--wait, I can almost hear the gasp of horror--. My boy, for some odd reason, is into athletic shirts and shorts with his linen Sunday shirt. Oh, I know it has a collar, but please, orange and red!! Where does he come up with these outfits? He has a new one on every day. I can't quite get him to grasp the idea to go with either the athletic stuff OR the nice linen shirt. He won't. BOTH must be present. It's really too much. I don't even want to start on the no socks with the keds. It's all Matt's doing. Now, it's as if he is SHOUTING "look at me world, my mother doesn't love me and cares not what I look like out in public!" This agency thing is for the birds.




On to Megan. Now I love my first born dearly. We all know that. But sometimes she reminds me so much of me and I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Her recent wardrobe has come directly from Isaac's drawers. (Kurt, I don't want to hear it) Every day its cargo shorts and some boy themed tshirt usually with her keen sandals. Gone, at least for now, are the cute Mary Janes and pink embellished shirts with a denim skirt. Her first day of school to last day of school metamorphosis is just as disturbing as Isaac's. Maybe the fact that I never dressed her in pink as a baby is finally catching up with me. As I looked through my pictures to find evidence of Megan's new style emanated in her mother's childhood qwerks--this is the best I could do.


Whoa!! Is that a tie--and a sport coat? And how could I have a comb over at age 7? Mom--why would you let your favorite daughter (sorry, Heath) dress like this? Do you know what it says about you as a mother? (Mallory just walked by and said, "You're a boy") OK, maybe I'm overreacting and my kids choice of clothes won't have that great of impact on their little lives just yet. They still have a chance to turn out fabulously (after all, they have my life to look at as an example). If anyone can go from this ugly "boy" caterpillar stage and turn into the gorgeous "girl" butterfly that is now Lizzy, with as much grace as i, they have truly succeeded in life. Everyone pray for my kids success!
PS Thanks for the agency mom!!

2 comments:

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

NICE! I love the combinations. Lucky for me, my kids still let me pick out their clothes...at least somebody's kids are truly loved! Just kidding. I love the "boy" picture...you weren't joking about the haircut.

Michiko said...

So funny Liz! I love the outfits. Reminds me of my own kids. Maika is into layering too, and asks me every day if it's cold enough to wear "long sleeves out of short sleeves". I thought it was a cool look at first, but I am SO sick of it now. He's also done "long pants out of shorts", with "long sleeves out of short sleeves" on top. I was cracking up!