Wednesday, July 11, 2007

great to be eight










Well, its official! I'm old enough to have an eight year old. my, how time flies. We were so excited for megan's big day. she really lucked out and was able to be baptized on her birthday--without me having to pull any... "hey, my husband is in the bishopric. we're changing the date to fit our schedule because we're way important." matt hates it when i do that. it really was a wonderful day. both matt and my parents came out for the big day along with my sister and two of her kids that are meg's and isaac's ages. It's events like these that make me wish we had a bigger house but once everyone leaves and i'm stuck cleaning, i'm glad we don't.



the program went well. i was really nervous because last month during one of megan's friends baptism, i realized that we were next and i sniffled through the whole thing. i kept telling myself that there was no way i was going to keep my composure during megan's. Oddly enough, i held back the tears with ease but matt wasn't so fortunate. he struggled to start the prayer as his emotions got the better of him. i was extremely shocked as i am usually considered the softy (inherited from my dad) in the family (for example, the next day, i cried all through the "star spangled banner" closing hymn in sacrament meeting and had to fake that i was trying to keep eli quiet-don't ask me, it's a curse) i love it when matt cries though, especially since it's so rare.



megs was a cute as ever. she has such a disposition to be drawn to spiritual things. she loves learning about the savior and tries so hard to be like him. she's been ready for this day for months. i'm really proud of her and am glad she's our first because she naturally leads all the others along her path. what a sweetheart.



along with being baptized, megan made another huge jump that day. she got her ears pierced. oh boy, here we come. since the earrings have been in--she's shed isaac's clothes and is back to her own closet. we've seen all sorts of outfits come out that have been hiding for the past two months. hooray!

she and her cousin, Maren, took the plunge together and kept each other's spirits up as they endured the pain. so fun to have a little girl. (sorry, mindy) (and emily)




















5 comments:

Big Oaf said...

for some reason I don't think that Alli will wait until she's 8 to want pierced ears. Dana's not big on it (she let hers close up long ago, and I don't think I've ever seen her with a pair of earrings on) and it drives her nuts when she sees babies/toddlers with earrings. However, the "two-year-old-teenager" at our house bugged Dana for ~3 hours the other day because the pink nail polish was wearing off her toes. I The only way to shut her up was to repaint them. Aren't girls fun?

Quick question, I have to ask (since you know me you will understand why) is "Lightening McQueen's" a clever play on words - meaning you shedding light on the McQueens or showing the lighter side of the McQueens. Or is it just a misspelling of "Lightning McQueens" Yes it really bugged me (and LuDeen) to see it spelled with an e.

Lightning McQueens said...

jared--you alwys ruin evrythng. why canot you leve misspelings missplt? i can't chng it now!@!! gret. now i look lik an idot.

Big Oaf said...

You could have just said you (or Matt) were being clever and I would have believed you. If anyone else asks I suggest you say that you were being creative; of course, now that I know it was a misspelling you will likely never hear the end of it!

Michiko said...

Sorry to Michiko too! lol. You know, maybe I'm not out of luck. My brother just got his ears pierced, so maybe one of my boys will decide to do it one day too. Won't that be exciting!

Lightning McQueens said...

michimonkey--sorry for the obvious absence of the wests on the dedication to having a girl. how tacky. that's great about your brother--have matt tell you about his ear piercing story. i'm sure he'd love to recount it (he's going to kill me for letting that one out of the bag)
ps. thanks for the invite to lunch group-my kids are still talking (ok-isaac is still talking) about everything they did there. he loves your boys